Shelters – Frequently Asked Questions

 In New York City, every individual has a legal right to emergency shelter. Nazareth Housing’s mission includes providing emergency shelter and supportive services for homeless families with dependent children. Nazareth Housing family shelters are currently located in the Lower East Side and Harlem.

Below is some essential information to assist you or someone you know in need of shelter, as well as links to other resources where you may receive assistance. This information is not meant to be exhaustive but to address basic questions often presented by those seeking assistance.

Seeking shelter?

Families who are homeless now, can find more information by contacting the Department of Homeless Services (DHS) at:

  • Call (800) 994-6494 (English/Español)
  • Call 311 in New York City
  • Visit the DHS website.

Families With Children | Single Women:

1. I have no place to stay tonight what should I do?

Families with dependent children should go directly to PATH (Prevention Assistance and Temporary Housing office). You will need to bring your children with you. The following documentation will be needed: birth certificates, immunization records, social security cards, photo ID and names and addresses of people you stayed with over the last 24 months.

2. What is PATH?

PATH is the Prevention Assistance and Temporary Housing office which is the Department of Homeless Services intake location for adult families; single pregnant women over age 18 and families with dependent children under the age of 21.

3. Can I get into your shelter if I go to PATH?

Not necessarily.  If you are over the age of 18 with dependent children or pregnant you may receive emergency shelter for the night or a 10-day conditional placement until you are deemed eligible by Department of Homeless Services for shelter placement.

4. How do I get to PATH?

NYC’s Department of Homeless Services Prevention Assistance & Temporary Housing (PATH) office is located at: 151 E. 151st Street (between Walton Ave. Gerard Ave.)
Subway directions: 2,4,or 5 train to 149th Street Grand Concourse.  Walk north on Grand Concourse to E. 151st Street.  Make a left on E. 151st Street and  walk towards Walton Ave.

5. Are there any shelters I can go to without having to go through PATH?

If you or your child are a victim of domestic violence and require emergency placement to ensure your safety, you should contact Safe Horizon at (212) 577-7700.

Unaccompanied Youth Under the Age of 17:

Youth under the age of 17 with no children and are in need of a safe place can go to Covenant House. Covenant House is located at 461 8th Avenue, New York, NY 10001. Covenant House has a crisis center.  Covenant House NINELINE counselors are available every day. They utilize a database of more than 30,000 social service and child welfare agencies so callers can be connected with immediate assistance anywhere in the United States. Call (800) 999-9999 or visit

Adult Families with No Children Under the Age of 21:

The Adult Family Intake Center is located at 400-430 E. 29th Street, Manhattan. Take #6 train to 28th Street.

Seeking assistance with rental arrears or eviction?

1. My unemployment checks do not cover my entire months rent, how can Nazareth Housing help me?

Families or individuals who are in this situation should contact their local Homebase program to receive information on services which can help them. You can also research programs which are federal funded under the Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program (HPRP), Coalition for the Homeless or Metropolitan Council on Jewish Poverty or contact our Homelessness Prevention Specialist via email at or by phone at 212-777-1010 x 18

2. I am 2-3 months late on my rent; can Nazareth Housing be of any help?

It depends. Please call (212) 777-1010 ext. 18 to see if Nazareth Housing can help you.

3. I’ve received an eviction notice; can Nazareth Housing help my family and me?

Yes. To expedite assistance you must explore the following:

  • “One Shot Deal” from the Human Resources Administration (HRA). Visit your local HRA center or call 311 for information.
  • Grants or Loans from “The Bridge Fund”, call (212) 674-0812.
  • Emergency Financial Assistance from charities in your community district.
  • Also visit the DHS website for more information on eviction prevention.

What other shelters are there other than Nazareth Housing?

Drop-In Centers provide homeless single adults with hot meals, showers, laundry facilities, clothing, medical care, recreational space, employment referrals, and other social services. Staff at these centers can also help homeless people find a safe and secure place to sleep. Call 311 for further directions or refer to the list below for a drop-in center near you:

Shelter Address Borough
Olivieri (women only) 257 W. 30th street Manhattan
Project Rescue 315 Bowery Manhattan
The Living Room 890 Garrison Avenue Bronx
Project Hospitality 25 Central Avenue Staten Island
Bond Street 39 Bond Street Brooklyn

Are you in shelter and seeking additional services?

1. I am in a shelter and my Housing Specialist or Case Manager is not helping me with what I need to do to move out of the shelter and be self sufficient, who can I speak to?

Please report any grievances to your Housing Specialist or Case Worker’s supervisor. If you continue to not receive services, speak to the shelter director. You can call DHS’ Office of Client Advocacy toll free at 1-800-994-6494, or you may be connected through 311.

2. I need food and clothing for my children while in shelter.  Where do I go?

If your shelter is not able to assist with referrals, contact 311, make a request with Nazareth Housing for Urgent Needs Assistance, or try our list of resources below: